As the lead authority for the Asset Management Workstream on the National Improvement and Efficiency Partnership, and a leading member of the Central Buying Consortium, Hampshire County Council has an exceptional record of achieving cost savings and efficiency in the management of its property portfolio. Kinnarps is a preferred supplier, and has supported HCC in its endeavours for over 14 years.
HCC’s 6,000 members of staff were housed across a large office portfolio which presented a raft of challenges. The traditional, cellular office layout was inefficient and outdated, with individual workstations that took up unnecessary space and were often unoccupied. The objective of the ‘Workstyle’ Programme, which began in 2009, was to “transform our existing workspaces into a modern, flexible office portfolio, whilst introducing new ways of working; provide the opportunity to generate efficiencies, deliver better services, improve corporate performance, and enable greater networking with partner agencies.”
The HCC office estate has been completely refurbished to provide flexible, efficient and modern offices with functional spaces for its workforce and service users. This was achieved with the support of Kinnarps, via:
• Carrying out an observation study to establish the existing occupancy levels;
• Our space planning team supporting HCC Property Services (HCCPS) in using the results of the study to inform the design process;
• Hosting stakeholder visits to our Next Office Concept headquarters, to showcase New Ways of Working concepts and present to HCC senior management;
• Increased space efficiency, which has allowed the Council to make further cost savings through the release of accommodation in other buildings.
• Improved staff morale, with benefits for recruitment and retention of staff (employee satisfaction with the working environment was found to be nearly twice as high after the redesign).
• Improved customer experience and corporate performance, including specially-purposed touch-down areas for visiting staff and additional break-out space.
• A framework agreement which enables all members of the Central Buying Consortium to purchase products and services from Kinnarps.